I firmly believe that when I am hired to sing for someone's wedding it is my duty to help them to have the most special day possible.
Here are a couple of examples of how I have gone The Extra Mile to make recent client's special days even more special.
1. I always ask what and how much music they want me to prepare.
Whether it is one song during the signing of the register or a couple of sets of background music for the cocktail reception, the choice is up to my client.
2. I always discuss which songs you want me to perform. It's your day therefore the songs have to mean something to you.
3. I am willing to learn something new especially for your big day. One wedding in Liverpool recently asked me to sing "At Last" by Etta James during the signing of the register. This is not my usual repertoire but it was so important to this couple as she had been waiting for him to marry her for 10 years!
4. Punctuality and reliability. I have never missed an engagement yet. I regularly have to turn down social events and invites to parties because I have to maintain my health for performing. Once a booking is confirmed it then becomes a priority in my diary. I always try to get an early night the night before I have to sing so that I can be on top form on the day.
5. Attention to detail. I recently sang at an Asian wedding and the dress code was Bollywood Glam. Although I did not already own anything suitable to wear, I made it my mission to ensure that I fit with the dress code.
6. Practice, practice, practice. I rehearse the music for my performances until I can not get them wrong. I need to feel prepared when I walk onto a stage to perform. In fact often I over prepare.
It is this conscious effort to make sure that my client is fully happy with my services on their special day that has built up my reputation as a wedding singer and why the happy couples who I have sung for in the past would recommend me again in the future.
Till next time,
Jennifer Coleman is a soprano who works as a classical singer and vocal coach. Available for performances across the UK and internationally.